The following password standard is required to help prevent unauthorized access to student/staff/faculty information when accessing network resources.
*Note: This policy is for Active Directory authorization, including email and access to network folders. Other systems such as Backboard, WebAdvisor and Datatel/Ellucian have different password standards
- Be a minimum of 8 characters in length.
- Be changed every 180 days.
- Must not contain your first name or last name.
- Never be shared with anyone.
- Contain characters from at least three of the following four categories:
- Uppercase characters (A through Z)
- Lowercase characters (a through z)
- Number (0 through 9)
- Special characters (for example, !, $, #, %)
- Be changed immediately if compromised.
- Not be posted on a sticky note, under keyboard, on the front of the monitor, etc.
- Not contain significant portions of the user's account name, department name, college name.
- Not contain personal identification such as SSN, employee ID, birth date, anniversary, kid's or pet's names.
- Not be saved automatically on the computer. Some login dialog boxes present an option to save or remember a password.
Please remember to lock your system with Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Windows key+L when away from the PC, even for a couple of minutes.
*Adapted from the Napa Valley College Password Policy