Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government
graphic element

DSP&S Student Handbook

Welcome to the Disabled Students Programs at Fresno City College! This handbook is designed to introduce students to the many services that Fresno City College and the DSP&S Programs has to offer!




2.1 Disability Verification

2.2 Eligible Disabilities


3.1 FCC Application

3.2 New Students

3.3 Placement Test

3.4 What to bring to your first appointment

3.5 Returning Students

3.6 Continuing Students


4.1 Student Grievance Process


5.1 Suspension of Services

5.2 Measurable Progress

5.3 Abuse of Services



7.1 Absence Notification for Classes

7.2 Absence Notification for Services

7.3 Attendant Care

7.4 Campus Access

7.5 Change of Counselor

7.6 Department of Rehabilitation

7.7 Duplication Services

7.8 Financial Aid

7.9 Personal Emergencies

7.10 Service Animals

7.11 Telephone Usage


8.1 Adaptive Physical Education

8.2 Adaptive Ornamental Horticulture

8.3 High Tech Center

8.4 Independent Living and Consumer Skills

8.5 Learning Disabilities Program

8.6 Transition to College


9.1 Sample Dialog to Request Accommodations

9.2 Alternate Media

9.3 Career and Transfer Information

9.4 Campus and Community Referrals

9.5 Counseling

9.6 Equipment Loans

9.7 Handicapped Parking

9.8 Interpreters

9.9 Learning Disability Assessment Testing

9.10 Mobility Assistance

9.11 Notetakers

9.12 Priority Registration

9.13 Reader Services

9.14 Testing Accommodations

9.15 WebAdvisor

9.16 Student Email


Frequently Called Numbers, Campus Offices And Map

10.1 On-Line Resources

10.2 Laws and Policies

10.3 Frequently Asked Questions


Since its inception in 1970, FCC’s Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSP&S) has grown to serve approximately 1,800 students with disabilities yearly.

DSPS&S provides instruction and services to students with disabilities that are designed to increase access to college instructional programs. Students with acquired brain injuries, delayed learning, learning disabilities, hearing impairments, visual impairments, psychological disabilities, mobility disabilities, and chronic health conditions may qualify for services. Services include specialized instruction, adaptive equipment, job placement, mobility assistance, interpreting, notetaking, textbooks on tape, testing accommodations, educational counseling and planning, priority registration, and specialized tutoring.

This handbook is designed to provide an overview of services available to students with varied disabilities through DSP&S. The handbook is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to give the student a general understanding of the programs and services available through DSP&S. For information regarding Admission & Registration and Academic Regulations, please refer to the Fresno City College catalog or current schedule of classes. DSP&S students are held accountable to follow all policies and procedures set forth in the Fresno City College catalog.

Reference copies of the catalog are available in the Library, DSP&S office, Counseling Center, Admissions and Records Office and in the offices of the Associate Deans of Instruction and Educational Advisors. Students are encouraged to purchase and use their own copy of the catalog. Personal copies are available for sale in the Fresno City College Bookstore

Contact DSP&S at (559) 442-8237 to request a copy of this handbook on Braille, large print or audio cassette.

This handbook is published for information purposes and every effort is made to ensure its accuracy. However, the provisions of this handbook are not to be regarded as a contract between the student and the college. Approved accommodations are determined on a case by case basis. Students with similar disabilities may not need similar accommodation. New technologies and standards in the field lead to best practices. Please consult with a DSP&S counselor if you have any questions about these services.


Students receiving services through DSP&S must be enrolled at FCC and complete the New Student Intake Process (see Application for Services, 3.0). To receive DSP&S services the student must provide documentation of their disability, including functional limitations, signed by an appropriate professional (see Eligible Disabilities, 2.2).

Students must possess the ability to respond appropriately to questions, following directions and demonstrate the potential to benefit from special programs and services.

Students must demonstrate appropriate adaptive and/or self-help behavior. DSP&S staff cannot provide personal attendant care or administer medication. See current college catalog for complete Attendant Service Policy. (See Attendant Service Policy, DSP&S forms, 10.5) Students are responsible for monitoring their own progress.

Students must demonstrate annual measurable academic progress. Failure to do so may result in termination of services.

DSP&S will establish a Student Educational Contract (SEC) or Student Educational Plan (SEP) (see DSP&S forms, 10.5), identify and document the educational limitations. In accordance with the individual’s educational limitations, DSP&S will approve appropriate accommodations.

Students seeking to appeal the denial of services should seek remedy through the Director of DSP&S. If, after consulting with the DSP&S Director, students are still not satisfied, they may appeal via the Student Grievance Process. (see current college catalog, Grievance Policy for Students)

Services may be denied if it is determined that a student does not meet one or more of the eligibility criteria.

All students are required to follow all Student Conduct Standards set forth in the current college catalog (Board Policy No. 5410, Education Code 66300) (including but not limited to: Computer/Network Equipment Use Policy; Academic Dishonesty Policy; Authority and Disciplinary Actions; Parking Regulations).

2.1 Disability Verification

A "student with a disability" or "disabled student" is a person enrolled at a community college who has a verified impairment, which limits one or more major life activities and which imposes an educational limitation. Note: This and the following definitions have been taken in whole or in part from Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.

Students wishing to receive services must provide documentation from appropriate agencies or certified/licensed professionals outside of DSPS, per Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations. In order to provide services, we must first receive written verification of your disability. We have forms available for your use (see DSP&S forms, 10.5).

Acceptable forms of disability verification may include:

A physical disability verified by an appropriate professional and/or physician (example: medical doctor, psychologist, psychiatrist, chiropractor, etc.). The verification should identify and describe the student’s disability and the educational limitations which inhibit the educational process.

Verification from another DSP&S program that determines eligibility for services per Title 5 Guidelines

Copies of a complete IEP if you received services in high school. The IEP should contain learning disability results and/or psychological reports.

A student with a hearing impairment must have an audiogram indicating hearing loss on file with DSP&S or other professional certification of degree or level of hearing loss.

A student with a learning disability must provide a copy of the test battery/results that qualify the student for LD support services. If the LD testing is 3 years old or more, you may be required to retest with our certified Learning Disability Specialist before services can be provided.

A student with a speech/language disability must have that disability verified by a speech-language pathologist prior to receiving DSP&S services.

DSP&S professional staff, with review by the DSP&S Director, may through personal observation, verify the existence of an observable disability. Use of this procedure is limited to conditions that can be seen externally (example: quadriplegia, paraplegia, ambulation, cerebral palsy).

NOTE: Proof of SSI is not a valid form of disability verification

2.2 Eligible Disabilities

Visual Impairment

Visual impairment includes blindness or partial sightedness to the degree that it impedes the educational process.

Mobility Impairment

Mobility impairment includes, but is not limited to, impairments caused by congenital anomaly, impairments caused by disease and impairments from other causes. Included in this category would be persons who have asthma, cardiovascular problems or lack motor functions necessary to lift or carry items normally used in an academic setting.

Communication Disability

Communication disability is defined as impairment in the processes of speech, language or hearing.

Hearing impairment means a total or partial loss of hearing function, which impedes the communication process essential to language, educational, social and/or cultural interactions.

Speech and language impairments mean one or more speech/language disorders of voice, articulation, rhythm and/or the receptive and expressive processes of language.

Learning Disability

Learning disability is defined as a persistent condition of presumed neurological dysfunction, which may exist, with other disabling conditions. This dysfunction continues despite instruction in standard classroom situations. To be categorized as learning disabled a student must exhibit:

Average to above-average intellectual ability

Severe processing deficits

Severe aptitude-achievement discrepancy; and

Measured achievement in an instructional or employment setting.

Acquired Brain Impairment

Acquired brain impairment means a verified deficit in brain functioning, which results in a total or partial loss of cognitive, communicative, motor, psychosocial, and/or sensory-perceptual abilities.

Developmentally Delayed Learner

DDL is defined as learning deficits resulting from below average intellectual functioning that adversely affects educational performance, existing concurrently with measurable potential for achievement in educational environments.

Psychological Disability

Psychological disability is defined as a persistent psychological or psychiatric disorder, emotional or mental illness that adversely affects educational performance. Psychological disability is a condition which:

Is listed in the most current American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) and is coded on Axis I or II as moderate to severe;

Reflects a psychiatric or psychological condition that interferes with a major life activity; and poses a functional limitation in the educational setting.

Other Disabilities

This category includes all other verifiable disabilities and health related limitations that adversely affect education performance but do not fall into any of the other disability categories and for whom there is indication of a need for support services or instruction pursuant to Sections 56026 and 56028 of Title V Regulations.


3.1 FCC Application

If you are new to FCC and/or DSP&S you must begin by applying for admission to Fresno City College. You may do this on-line at or by submitting an application directly to Admission & Records (1st floor, Student Services building).

3.2 New Students

All new DSP&S students are required to complete an Application for Services (see DSP&S forms, 10.5) and attend a New Student Intake/Orientation appointment. You may schedule this in person or by calling 442-8237. Walk-in intake appointments are available on a limited basis only; it is best to schedule an appointment in advance.

3.3 Placement Test

Each student enrolling in FCC brings different skills in English, math, and reading. Many of our courses assume a certain level of knowledge. It is highly advised that a student take an English/math placement test prior to registration if they have not met the class prerequisite by other means (e.g. transcripts from another college). Test scores are used to assist counselors with correctly advising students regarding class placement. A schedule of the testing times and dates are established at the beginning of each month. Copies of the current schedule are available in the DSP&S office (Student Services Building, 2nd floor), Assessment Center (see FCC map, 10.1), or on-line at If you need an accommodation to take the Placement Test (e.g. additional time), please advise the DSP&S staff during your New Student Intake appointment. It is highly advised that you take the Placement Test prior to your first counselor appointment.

3.4 What to bring to your first appointment

Your most current written verification of disability, medical report, Department of Rehabilitation Plan or IEP from your high school. We recommend that you make copies of all documents you submit to DSP&S in case you need them for future use. See “Disability Verification” for a complete list of acceptable documentation for disabling conditions.

Appointments are only 30 minutes, so please be on time. If you must cancel, please call as soon as possible.

3.5 Returning Students

Students who have been away from FCC for a semester or more must reapply and update their Fresno City College application, and also complete a DSP&S Application for Services (see DSP&S forms, 10.5) to reactivate and update their file. They will then be scheduled with a follow-up appointment to meet with their new DSP&S counselor. If you have been away for more than 5 years, your file has been destroyed and you must complete the entire intake process, including resubmitting documentation of disability. (See New Students, 3.2).

3.6 Continuing Students

You must meet with your DSP&S counselor at least twice a year to maintain your eligibility for services. Please note that services need to be requested every semester. You may be asked to provide updated verification if you have a disability that changes over time, or if you qualify for services on the basis of a temporary disability. If you want to request a service that was not previously authorized you must meet with a DSP&S counselor to discuss your request. We may be able to authorize the accommodation on the basis of the current disability verification, or we may need to request additional verification from your provider.


Participation in DSP&S by students with disabilities is voluntary. Not all students with disabilities require accommodations.

Receiving support services does not prevent a student from participating in any other course, program or activity offered by the college.

All records maintained by DSP&S pertaining to students with disabilities are protected from disclosure and are subject to all other requirements for handling of student records.

Students assume responsibility for transportation, service animals, medications and the provision of personal attendant care. See current college catalog for complete Attendant Service Policy. (See Attendant Service Policy, DSP&S forms, 10.5).

Students assume personal responsibility for their education and accommodations.

Students are expected to work collaboratively with SCCCD staff and instructors to ensure timely provision of services.

Students receiving services through DSP&S will be assigned a counselor.  If for any reason the student has a problem/issue with the counselor, the student may request another counselor.  At any time, the student may also seek assistance from the SCCCD Director.

Students must meet with a DSP&S counselor (see Counseling, 9.5) to complete a Student Educational Contract (see DSP&S forms, 10.5). The student will meet at least annually (twice a semester is preferred) to update the Student Educational Contract.

The student will utilize DSP&S services in a responsible manner and adhere to written service provision procedures adopted by DSP&S.

Students will comply with the Student Code of Conduct adopted by the college and published in the college catalog.

Students must demonstrate measurable progress toward the goals established in the student’s Student Educational Contract (Board Policy No. 5410, Education Code 66300), and meet academic standards established by the college.

Failure to comply with these standards may result in the suspension of DSP&S services. If you have concerns regarding the continuation of services, please do not hesitate to make an appointment to speak with your DSP&S counselor (see Counseling, 9.5).

Students seeking to appeal the denial of services should seek remedy through the Director of DSP&S. If, after consulting with the DSP&S Director, students are still not satisfied, they may appeal via the Student Grievance Process. (See current college catalog, Grievance Policy for Students).

4.1 Student Grievance Process

Students shall be informed that they have a right to file a complaint concerning any allegations of failure to comply with the laws, regulations and procedures as set forth for individual with disabilities. Complaints shall be processed through the existing college grievance procedures listed in the Fresno City College Affirmative Action, Sexual Harassment Policy and Complaint Procedures manual. Information on the above will be given to students during the New Student Intake process and is also available for review in the current college catalog (see current college catalog, Grievance Policy for Students).


Disabled Student Programs & Services staff members help students obtain the academic accommodations necessary to allow equal access to Fresno City College’s programs and services. It is the responsibility of DSP&S to utilize resources so that all students can receive equitable services. We establish policies and procedures that adhere to the FCC and DSP&S missions and that provide students access to reasonable accommodations.

DSP&S also has the responsibility of establishing requirements for measurable progress and abuse of services. If a student does not adhere to established policies, she/he will be notified of the possibility of suspension of DSP&S services.

5.1 Suspension of Services

There are only two ways that eligible students may be suspended:

Lack of measurable progress, and/or,

Abuse of services

5.2 Measurable Progress

DSP&S Services are intended to assist students in achieving their academic and/or vocational goals. Even with accommodations, students may encounter difficulties due to disability, life circumstances, or other reasons that prevent them from achieving these goals. Students are encouraged to use authorized accommodations and support services, to choose appropriate classes and a reasonable course load and to meet regularly with their DSP&S counselor. A lack of measurable progress may result in a suspension of services. Lack of progress can be determined in any of the following ways:

Failure to pass (grades of W, NC, D or F) classes while utilizing appropriate accommodations.

Failure to meet SCCCD’s requirements for being a student in good standing (see current college catalog).

Insufficient progress, as determined by instructor in consultation with the student.

Failure to make progress for two consecutive semesters toward the goals established in the student’s Student Educational Contract (see DSP&S forms, 10.5).

5.3 Abuse of Services

Abuse of services is defined as a failure to comply with the policies and/or procedures established to obtain or utilize authorized accommodations. Examples of ‘abuse of services’ include excessive, unexcused absences where a service is being provided, verbal abuse of DSP&S staff, repeated failure to keeps appointments for testing, mobility, counseling or other services. Abuse of service may result in suspension of that service.

Students will be notified in writing prior to suspension of services. The student will be asked to meet with their DSP&S counselor to discuss the area of concern. If the student fails to meet with the counselor, the services will be suspended seven instructional days from the date the letter was sent.

A letter will be sent to the student notifying them that services have been suspended.

Suspended services may be reinstated only with the authorization of a DSP&S counselor and only if there are extenuating circumstances which warrant reinstatement.

Services may continue or be reinstated only if the student agrees to and signs a “Contract for Continuation of Services.” (see DSP&S forms, 10.5)

Students seeking to appeal the suspension of services should seek remedy through the Student Grievance Rights process; see current college catalog for details.


The Right to Privacy Act ensures that all disability-related contact with the DSP&S office remains confidential unless students sign a written release. This means that a DSP&S counselor will not discuss anything pertaining to students with any of their instructors or anybody else, without the student’s expressed written permission.

For reasons of confidentiality, DSP&S staff members may not discuss a student’s disability status with either faculty or staff. As a result, students are encouraged to talk with instructors about their specific accommodation needs. When necessary, DSP&S staff may intervene on the student’s behalf to facilitate provision of services or to help students communicate their needs to others.


7.1 Absence Notification for Classes

The DSP&S office will not notify instructors of an absence unless the absence is caused by the student’s disabling condition. If the student wants DSP&S to notify their instructors, he/she should call the DSP&S office. If a student is unable to attend classes as a result of a non-disability related problem, the DSP&S office will not notify instructors of the absence. This is the responsibility of the student. In either case, students may be required to present medical verification of illness from their physicians.

7.2 Absence Notification for Services

Students receiving special services and accommodations (i.e. Interpreters, Mobility, and Testing) must notify DSP&S in the event of any absence when a service is scheduled. Students should notify DSP&S in advance whenever possible.

7.3 Attendant Care

SCCCD does not provide Attendant Service. See current college catalog for complete Attendant Service Policy. (See Attendant Service Policy, DSP&S forms, 10.5).

7.4 Campus Access

The college has an ongoing process for evaluating architectural barriers and recommending changes. If students encounter difficulties with access, please inform DSP&S staff and steps will be taken to address the problem.

7.5 Change of Counselor

Students requesting a change of counselor must complete, submit and follow the procedures as outlined in the Petition for Change of Counselor request form (see Change of Counselor, DSP&S forms, 10.5).

7.6 Department of Rehabilitation

If Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) sponsors a student, it is the student’s responsibility to be sure his/her DOR counselor has “authorized” payment for whatever is being covered by DOR (fees/books, etc.) in a “timely” fashion. If a student’s registration is cancelled because of non-payment or because the college has not received a DOR authorization, it is the student’s responsibility.

7.7 Duplication Services

DSP&S provides duplication services only for the enlargement of tests, handouts and classroom notes, to students with low vision disabilities. Current Copyright laws are enforced.

7.8 Financial Aid

DSP&S does not have money available to grant or loan to students. Students may apply for Financial Aid to assist with purchases of books, supplies and other educational necessities. There are specific guidelines and deadlines for applying for financial assistance. Please go to the campus Financial Aid office (Student Services Building, 2nd floor) or the Financial Aid Computer Lab (Library Building, Rm. LI-123) for further information.

Students may qualify for funds from the Department of Rehabilitation or the Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOP&S) for low income and educationally disadvantaged students. The Scholarship Office grants scholarships every May for the following year for both continuing and transferring students. They also help students search for scholarships from other sources.

7.9 Personal Emergencies

Some Students have medical conditions that may require emergency or first aid response. This may include students who have seizures, students with cardiac disabilities or certain students with psychiatric disabilities. You may wish to designate an emergency contact person in the even you require medical attention or transport to your home or medical facility. Please contact Health Services, located in the Student Services Building, room 112.

7.10 Service Animals

According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), a service animal is defined as “any animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals to an impending seizure or protecting individuals during one, and alerting individuals who are hearing impaired to intruders, or pulling a wheelchair or fetching dropped items”. In compliance with ADA, service animals are welcome in all buildings on campus and may attend any class, meeting, or other event. Reasonable behavior is expected from the animals while on campus. If your dog exhibits unacceptable behavior, you are expected to employ the proper training techniques to correct the situation.

7.11 Telephone Usage

The telephone and Teledigital Devices (TDD) in the DSP&S office are for official use only. Student usage is limited to emergencies.

TDD and regular pay telephones are also available in the following locations (see campus map, 10.1):

Student Services Building

Media Center/ Library



8.1 Adaptive Physical Education

Designed to improve a student’s level of physical fitness. The program is individually designed to meet the needs of every student and establish goals for their success

8.2 Adaptive Ornamental Horticulture

Offers individual classes for enjoyment and academic enrichment or, upon successful completion of the Adaptive Horticulture Program, students are eligible to receive a certificate of completion in Horticulture Skills.

8.3 High Tech Center

Provides specialized training in the use of hardware and software adaptations appropriate to a student’s particular disability. Students have access to computer equipment in an accessible location.

8.4 Independent Living and Consumer Skills

Taken as a block, these classes are divided into two general units which are covered either on a daily or rotational basis. The Independent Living Skills class provides the foundation and basic understanding of everyday living so that each student may be able to achieve his/her personal goal of self reliance and ultimately gain the skills needed in order to live independently. The Consumer Skills Development class focuses on cultivating the basic fundamental skills needed in order to develop sound consumer awareness.

8.5 Learning Disabilities Program

Assesses the needs and skill levels of each student, tailoring a specific educational course of study designed to bring out the best in an individual at a college level. Our instructional program in reading, writing, math, and other academics prepares students to function in the classroom and their chosen vocation.

8.6 Transition to College

Assists students with disabilities in preparing for initial semester in a community college. Covers issues related to accommodations and resources available to students with disabilities to enable them to be successful in a college setting, including disability evaluation and assessment, alternative media, course selection and scheduling.


The major objective of the Disabled Students Programs & Services office at FCC is to assure educational access for students with disabilities. DSP&S concentrates its efforts on providing programs and services that are not available elsewhere in the college. DSP&S makes the following programs and services available to qualified students at FCC:

Alternate Media

Career and Transfer Information



Handicapped Parking


Learning Disability Testing

Mobility Assistance


Priority Registration

Reader Services

Testing Accommodations

A service will only be provided to a student who has a verified disability and educational limitations which necessitate the use of that specific service. Authorization for each service must be provided by a DSP&S Counselor. For services or accommodations not listed here, please make an appointment to discuss with your DSP&S counselor (see Counseling, 9.5).

Under provisions of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Fresno City College is required to provide accommodations for otherwise qualified students with disabilities. Accommodations are the means by which the college allows the student to compensate for limitations resulting from a disability. Accommodations are not designed to give students an advantage but rather to allow equal opportunity in the classroom and in student activities. Accommodations are determined on a case by case basis. Accommodations may differ based on the nature of the disability, the functional limitation and the requirements of the class.

It is very important to remember that requesting, obtaining and implementing accommodations is a collaborative process. Students requesting accommodations should meet with their DSP&S counselor to discuss the request for the accommodation. After verifying disability and functional limitations the counselor will approve reasonable and appropriate accommodations. The student and the counselor will complete a Student Educational Contract (see DSP&S forms, 10.5). The Student Educational Contract is completed every academic year and outlines educational goals and approved accommodations based on current disability verification and educational limitations.

9.1 Sample Dialog to Request Accommodations

Practice what you are going to say to your instructors. Be polite. You are asking them for assistance with your accommodations. You should discuss and work out your needs with the instructor. If an instructor does not agree to your accommodation request, then politely thank him/her for their time and see your DSP&S counselor immediately. Following are some suggestions on what to say to your instructor(s):

I’m ______________________. I have a verified disability. I have a DSP&S counselor and here is the paperwork that verifies my disability and shows authorized academic accommodations. My disability causes __________________________________, which means I need ________________________ to have the same opportunity to learn in the class as a student without disabilities.


I’d like to discuss: (include only those that apply to you.)

GETTING A NOTETAKER: I need help in finding a student who takes good notes in this class. I have samples of the carbonless paper that DSP&S will provide. The notetaker uses this paper to take his/her class notes. I get one copy, and the notetaker keeps the other. Would you please help me find someone who takes good notes?

TAPE RECORDING A LECTURE: I am authorized by the DSP&S office to record lectures. Only I, in my studies for your class, will use the recording. DSP&S has a Tape Recording Usage Agreement that I would be happy to sign (see DSP&S forms, 10.5). If you have any concerns about me doing this, please call my DSP&S counselor _________________________.

EXTENDED TEST TIME: I need to discuss the accommodation of extended test time. My DSP&S counselor has determined that ________ times the usual time allowed is necessary for the nature of my disability. DSP&S does offer someone to proctor tests in their office. I can arrange to take the tests in through their office, or we can work out extra time at a time and place you suggest. How would you like to organize this?

QUIET ENVIRONMENT: Because of my verified disability, I am easily distracted and I need to take tests/quizzes in a quiet environment. I can arrange to take tests in the DSP&S office or we can choose another quiet spot. Which would you prefer?

TABLE AND CHAIR: Because of my verified disability, I am unable to sit in a regular student desk and need an individual table and chair. Each division office has been assigned a number of tables and chairs for student use; would you please contact your division dean/office and request that one be moved to this classroom?

Practice what you are going to say to your instructors. Be polite. You are asking them for assistance with your accommodations. You should discuss and work out your needs with the instructor. If an instructor does not agree to your accommodation request, then politely thank him/her for their time and see your DSP&S counselor immediately.

9.2 Alternate Media

Alternate media services will be provided to students whose disability related limitations prevent them from accessing material in traditional print format. Alternate Media is defined as instructional materials, textbooks, and classroom materials in formats accessible and usable by individuals with disabilities. After meeting with the student and reviewing their verification of disability, the determination of the most suitable format of support will be made by the DSP&S counselor and, wherever possible, will be provided in the format preferred by the student. DSP&S will provide the following alternate media services: Braille, compressed audio (MP3) CD, electronic text (e-text), tactile graphics conversions of course materials and handouts, and print enlargements.

How to arrange for Alternate Media:

Schedule an appointment with a DSP&S Counselor to receive authorization for services (see Counseling, 9.5).

Student takes the Alternate Media/ /Accommodation Request form (see DSP&S forms, 10.5) to the Alternate Media Specialist (Media Center # LI-136)

Students are required to sign the Security of Electronic Text Agreement (see DSP&S forms, 10.5)

Students must be enrolled in the course for which they are requesting alternate media.

Students must purchase textbook.

Students understand that the binding of their textbook may be removed, and that this is in integral step in the alternate media conversion process (see Alternate Media/Accommodation Request Form, DSP&S forms, 10.5).

Students must plan ahead; it takes time to convert material to alternate media.

Until the material is available in the alternative format requested by the student, the college may offer to provide it in another medium which would be equally effective given the needs of the student requesting the accommodation.

9.3 Career and Transfer Information

Career Information:

Career planning and educational planning go hand in hand. DSP&S provides individual career counseling. Career planning courses to be offered by the Counseling departments to help students with disabilities make good career decisions. Make an appointment to see your DSP&S Counselor (see Counseling) for assistance.

The Career Center on campus also has a variety of resources that are available and accessible to students with disabilities. They include:

Career Library

Computerized career assessments and research

Career Development Classes (Guidance Studies)

A vocational rehabilitation counselor from the Department of Rehabilitation is available for appointments half day per week. The counselor’s office located in the DSP&S area, students may make an appointment by contacting the DSP&S office.

Students needing help using any of the career resources should ask for assistance in the Career Center.

Transfer Information:

If a Bachelor’s degree is in your future it is important to plan ahead. Course requirements vary from campus to campus and can be confusing. Students sometimes need to follow more than one set of requirements at the same time. Make it your priority to meet with a counselor regularly to plan your program, monitor your progress and stay on track. Having a disability does not have to keep you from earning an advanced degree, but it will not automatically get you admitted either.

Students with disabilities are expected to meet the same requirements as all other students. Request for exceptions are considered on a case-by-case basis. Universities review your past work to determine your potential to succeed at their institution. It is good idea to work directly with the school you are planning to transfer to as soon as you apply.

Both the California State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) provide information to counselors regarding how requests for special admission considerations are handled at each campus. Procedures vary-contact your DSP&S counselor at FCC or call the Disabled Students Services Office at the campus you wish to attend.

Some campuses of the University of California recommended that you include information in your personal statement of the application that addresses ways in which your disability may have impacted your educational program.

Private universities and colleges often ask for letters of recommendation. Get to know teachers outside of DSP&S so that you will have additional support for your application.

9.4 Campus and Community Referrals

It is our goal to provide you with all of the available resources to ensure your academic and/or vocational success. This may include referrals to other programs and services on our campus, or a referral to a community agency that provides services to individuals with disabilities. The following list is not all inclusive; ask your counselor if you need a referral to a service or agency not listed here.

On-campus resources:


Employment Resource Center


Financial Aid

Health Service


Learning Resources Center

Psychological Services

Puente Project

Transfer Center

TRIO Programs

USEAA Academic Program

Selected Community Referrals:

Cesar Chavez Adult School: 2500 Stanislaus, Fresno 93721 (559) 457-6000, ext. 70163

Department of Rehabilitation: A representative from the Dept. of Rehabilitation sees students by appointment in the DSP&S office. To schedule an appointment please go to the DSP&S office. 2550 Mariposa Mall, Room 2000, Fresno 93779 (559) 445-6011

Fresno County Mental Health: A representative from Mental Health sees students by appointment in the DSP&S office. To schedule an appointment, please go to the DSP&S office. 2171 North Fine St., Fresno 93727 (559) 455-2040

Social Security Administration: 5090 N. West, Fresno 93711 (559) 487-5061

9.5 Counseling

DSP&S Counselor offer students with disabilities specialized counseling and guidance to assist with coordinating accommodations, decision-making vocational exploration and educational planning. Counseling is available by appointment.

Counselor Assignment

As soon as you have completed the entire New Student Intake process (including providing verification of your disability), a DSP&S counselor will be assigned to you and your first appointment will be scheduled.

How to schedule a counseling appointment

Call the DSP&S office at (559) 442-8237 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Walk-in appointments

Walk-in counseling appointments are only available on a counselor’s scheduled walk-in day and are on a first come, first served basis. Walk-in appointments are limited in length and are to be used only for ‘quick-answer’ types of questions. Due to the short time allowed for these appointments there might not be enough time to address all of your concerns. In this case, your counselor can assist you in scheduling a follow-up appointment.

Available counseling services

Disability Management: DSP&S Counselors coordinate necessary support services, recommend accommodations and serve as a resource to help students obtain appropriate services beyond those provided at FCC.

Academic Advising: DSP&S Counselors are available to assist students with academic advising and educational planning.

Personal Counseling: Counseling for personal situations, impacting student’s ability to succeed in college, is available through DSP&S. If in-depth counseling appears to be indicated, the staff is able to refer the student to psychological Services on campus or to outside agencies or counselors.

Career Counseling: Counseling related to career choice and decision-making is available to students.

9.6 Equipment Loans

Educational access sometimes means that students need equipment such as tape recorder or listening devices to benefit from instruction. DSP&S makes these accommodations available for loan during class time.

How to arrange for equipment loans:

Schedule an appointment with a DSP&S Counselor to receive authorization for services (see Counseling, 9.5)

Take the Notification of Authorized Services and/or Special Needs form (see DSP&S forms, 10.5) to the DSP&S office and complete an Equipment Loan Contract (see DSP&S Forms, 10.5).

Equipment will be loaned by DSP&S only to students officially enrolled in classes. Equipment (e.g., tape recorders) shall not be loaned to a student for any purpose or activity that is not school sponsored.

DSP&S does not supply batteries or cassette tapes; the student is responsible for supplying.

If equipment is not returned at the appropriate time and place, or has been damaged, the student will forfeit his/her rights to future equipment loans and he/she will be asked to replace the equipment.

9.7 Handicapped Parking

Parking is limited on all SCCCD campuses. All parking is available on a first come, first served basis. Parking is not reserved for students with disabilities. It is important to arrange your schedule to allow adequate time for parking.

How to arrange Handicapped Parking:

Schedule an appointment with a DSP&S Counselor to receive authorization for services (see Counseling, 9.5).

Students must purchase a campus parking permit in the campus Business Office (Administration Building, room 109).

Take the Notification of Authorized Services and/or Special Needs form (see DSP&S forms, 10.5) to the DSP&S office.

Students may pick up a copy of the complete parking regulations from the DSP&S office, the campus Business Office (Administration Building, room 109).

9.8 Interpreters

Interpreting students are provided on request for students who are deaf or hard of hearing. Services are provided when they are considered to be reasonable and appropriate accommodations. Interpreters are provided for classroom sessions and class-related meetings, events, and/or field trips. With advance notice, interpreters may also be provided for meetings with instructors, counselors, and for other campus services.

Scheduling interpreters takes time. Students must plan and request services as early as possible. Interpreters are assigned to classes based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to: availability, skill and knowledge level of each interpreter and the communication needs of each student. The DSP&S Interpreter Coordinator will make every effort to honor student preferences for a particular interpreter; however, DSP&S does not guarantee that a specific interpreter will be assigned or available.

Every effort is made to provide accommodations for students requesting interpreting services. The need for interpreting services often exceeds the supply of qualified, certified, and available interpreters. Students are expected to work closely with college personnel to develop a reasonable alternative when despite good faith effort, DSP&S is unable to secure a qualified interpreter. Sometimes creative solutions are necessary so that all who wish to enroll in classes can benefit from services. In some instances, for example, when more than one student is enrolled in the same class but different sections, we may request that students consider enrolling in the same section.

How to arrange Interpreting Services:

Schedule an appointment with a DSP&S counselor specializing in services of Deaf and hard of hearing students and complete the new student intake process.

Request interpreting services from your DSP&S counselor.

Schedule an appointment to meet with the DSP&S Interpreter Coordinator.

It is the student’s responsibility to submit all semester class schedules to the Interpreter Coordinator at least 3 weeks prior to each semester. Schedules received after this period will be expediting as quickly as possible.

For all other “one time” campus appointments or events, interpreter requests must be made by completing the Interpreter Request form (see DSP&S Forms) that is available in the DSP&S office. These request forms must be submitted to the Interpreter Coordinator one week in advance of the scheduled appointment or event.

DSP&S provides interpreting services for classes and all class-related activities, meetings, and events.

For all campus-wide events, DSP&S will make every effort to assist these requests (i.e. provision and scheduling of interpreters) but the department sponsoring the event is required to pay for the interpreting services.

No-shows: If a student does not show up for three consecutive class sessions and has not submitted prior notification to the Interpreter Coordinator, the interpreter will automatically be assigned to another class, pending an available reassignment. Reevaluation of reassigning the interpreters back to the class is handled on an individual basis.

The first class session of each semester, interpreters will wait one full hour to allow for students who may be running late due to traffic or parking.

Thereafter, interpreters will wait 20 minutes after the beginning of each class session for the student to arrive. If the student has not arrived within 20 minutes, the interpreter may be reassigned to another class.

If a student has a concern about an interpreter, the student is encouraged to work with the assigned interpreter to resolve the issue. When this is not appropriate or conducive to communication, the student is encouraged to meet with the Interpreter Coordinator who will try and accommodate both the student and interpreter’s concerns. If the student wants to request a different interpreter, the student needs to complete a Request for Reassigned interpreter form (see DSP&S Forms) and submit it to the Interpreter Coordinator. Please allow one week for interpreter/coordinator to respond.

The goal of DSP&S Interpreting Services is to culturally facilitate accessible communication among students and staff in the post secondary environment.

9.9 Learning Disability Assessment Testing

DSP&S offers classes and services for students with Learning Disabilities. Students must meet the eligibility criteria for qualification as Learning Disabled according to the California Community College eligibility guidelines. Students who suspect they have a learning disability, but who have not been assessed can meet with DSP&S staff to discuss testing. Individualized assessment to determine eligibility for learning disability services is available at FCC.

How to arrange for a Learning Disability Assessment Referral

Schedule an appointment through the DSP&S office for a New Student Intake by calling (559) 442-8237 (see Application for Services, 3.0).

Students must complete and submit a Fresno City College Application for Admission prior to the intake appointment.

Students complete the New Student Intake process (excluding verification of disability).

Students complete the Learning Disability Eligibility Screening process during the New Student Intake appointment.

When appropriate, students will be scheduled for a Learning Disability testing appointment or, if further assessment is required prior to test scheduling; student will be scheduled for a follow-up appointment with a DSP&S counselor.

Students are not eligible for DSP&S Services until and unless upon completion of the Learning Disability Assessment Test they have been determined eligible for services, per Title V guidelines.

9.10 Mobility Assistance

Mobility services will be provided to a student who has a verified disability and who has disability-related functional limitations that prevent the student from walking distances or carrying heavy loads while on campus. An accessible cart is available to provide on-campus transportation. Students who may be eligible for this service are those with temporary and permanent orthopedic disabilities that affect their mobility.

How to arrange for Mobility Services:

Schedule an appointment with a DSP&S Counselor to receive authorization for services (see Counseling, 9.5).

Students must be currently enrolled for classes.

Take the Notification of Authorized Services and/or Special Needs form (see DSP&S Forms, 10.5) to the DSP&S office.

Provide a copy of your class schedule.

Complete a Request for Mobility Service form (see DSP&S Forms, 10.5).

Service will begin on the day following completion of the Request for Mobility Service form.

The student must be at the designated area and be ready at the pre-arranged time.

All books, bags, and packages are your responsibility. Drivers are not required to carry books and packages to classrooms, cars, etc.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the DSP&S office as soon as possible if she/he will be unable to meet the mobility assistant as scheduled (559) 442-8237. Three (3) failures to notify may result in termination of this service.

The student is responsible for informing the DSP&S office whenever changes occur that affect the student’s need for mobility services.

Mobility Express has a limited number of vehicles and drivers. We will always try to pick you up at your requested time, but sometimes delays may be unavoidable.

9.11 Notetakers

Notetaking services for qualified students. Special notetaking paper (no carbon required) is available in the DSP&S Office free to the student who needs this service. Students may find their own notetakers in class or may ask their instructors to help them find a notetaker in their classes.

How to arrange for Notetaking Services:

Schedule an appointment with a DSP&S Counselor to receive authorization for services (see Counseling, 9.5).

Notetaking services will only be provided to a student who has a verified disability and whose disability-related functional limitations prevent the student from taking his/her own notes.

Take the Notification of Authorized Services and/or Special Needs form (see DSP&S Forms, 10.5) to the DSP&S office. Carbonless, NCR notetaking paper is available upon request.

Take the Notification of Authorized Services/Notetaking and/or Special Needs forms (see DSP&S forms, 10.5) to your instructors).

Students needing this service are required to either 1) ask a fellow student in their classes to assist them with notes, or 2) ask the instructor to help them find a notetaker in class and arrange to meet immediately after the class.

Students are required to be in class to receive notes from that day unless the absence was disability related.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the DSP&S office as soon as possible if she/he will be unable to attend class so the notetaker can be notified. Three (3) failures to notify may result in termination of this service.

The student is responsible for informing the DSP&S office whenever changes occur that affect the student’s need for notetaking services.

9.12 Priority Registration

Counseling it is often important for students with disabilities to enroll in specific sections of a course to accommodate their disability. They may need to arrange for interpreter services, participate in DSP&S curriculum, or coordinate other accommodations. In addition, the actual process of registration can be especially difficult and stressful for many students with disabilities. As a result, DSP&S offers priority registration to qualified students.

How to arrange for Priority Registration:

If FCC has your current address, you should receive a registration permit (see DSP&S forms, 10.5) in the mail informing you of your registration appointment.

DSP&S counselors are available by appointment (see Counseling, 9.5) to assist with academic advising.

It is always advisable to schedule an appointment to discuss your next semester’s schedule as early in the semester as possible since appointment times are especially hard to arrange once registration has begun.

Priority registration will be provided for students who have:

A verified disability

Completed the New Student Intake process (see Application for Services)

Met with a DSP&S counselor twice per semester to review and update their Student Educational Contract (see DSP&S forms).

5. Priority Registration will follow basic guidelines established by the Admissions & Records Office (e.g. deadlines, application guidelines, use of telephone registration, tuition and fee payments, Board of Governor's Grant (BOGG), and/or authorizations from the Department of Rehabilitation).

9.13 Reader Services

Sometimes a student's disability inhibits his/her ability to complete required reading for a course in a timely manner with adequate comprehension. This student may benefit from having the reading material for the course available on audio tapes. Students with documented visual impairments; physical disabilities, developmental or learning disabilities that substantially limit reading ability are eligible for reader services.

Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic (RFBD) is an organization that reproduces printed material onto audio tapes. Textbooks may be available through this agency for a student's use. There is a one time $65 fee charged for registration and a $35 annual membership fee. For additional information and/or to register, go on-line at

If the material is unavailable through RFB&D, please ask your DSP&S counselor about Alternate Media services.

9.14 Testing Accommodations

The most appropriate method of administrating a test depends upon the students’ disability and the design of the test. Students with disabilities that affect manual dexterity, vision, or perception generally may be allowed extra time to complete tests.

How to arrange for Testing Accommodation:

Schedule an appointment with your DSP&S counselor (see Counseling, 9.5) to request authorization for testing.

Submit Notification of Authorized Services form (see DSP&S forms, 10.5) to your instructor.

Complete and follow the instructions in the DSP&S Student Testing Assistance Guidelines contract (see DSP&S forms, 10.4).

All students are required to follow the Academic Dishonest policy set forth in the college catalog and are required to sign an Academic Dishonesty contract (see DSP&S forms, 10.5).

All tests are monitored; no exceptions.

Remember to plan ahead! Poor planning on your part does not mean that we will be able to accommodate a last minute request!

9.15 WebAdvisor

WebAdvisor is a Web interface that allows you to access information contained in the administrative database used by Fresno City College and State Center Community College District. If you are enrolled at any of our campus locations, your student records may be available online. WebAdvisor allows access to your personal profile that is part of your official records at the College. Students may use WebAdvisor for many reasons:

To register for classes

To add or drop classes

Search the class schedule

To check your individual schedule

To view grades

To view fee payment dates

How to use WebAdvisor:

To view your personal records, you must provide a student login and password. Your login is your lastname_datatelid (i.e. doe_0123456-all lower case). Until you change your password, your password is your six digit birth date (i.e. January 1, 1980 = 010180). Follow these instructions to access WebAdvisor:

Access Webadvisor from the Internet using the following URL:

Login to WebAdvisor following the login and password directions provided above.

After you have logged in with your initial login and password, you will immediately be prompted to change your password and to provide a hint in the event your password is misplaced or forgotten in the future. For security reasons, your new password MUST be 6-9 characters in length and include both letters and numbers. Do not give your login or password to anyone. Keep both your login and password in a safe place.

If you have questions regarding WebAdvisor logins or need more information, please contact the Student Services Helpk Desk at 499-6070.

9.16 Student Email

Beginning June 1, 2010, Fresno City College will use your free email account as the primary means to communicate with you.  Communication with all students will be via district email unless you choose to receive notices about your student account by U.S. mail.  Students may opt to have all communication sent by the "postal service" by filling out the online form "Change Correspondence Method" at the Admission and Records office. Email accounts can be accessed from any of the lab computers on campus or from an off-campus computer with Internet access.  To activate your account go to:

Your email login ID is your  (e.g.:  Your email password is your first initial (upper case), your last initial (lower case) and your 6-digit birthdate (example:  for John Smith born on December 25, 1997, enter a password of Js122597).



Frequently Called Numbers, Campus Offices and Map

Main Campus Line-442-4600

Admission & Records-422-8228

Applied Technology Division Office-442-8273

Assessment Center-442-8280

Athletic Office-443-8503


Business Division-442-8222

Business Office (fee payment)-489-2234


Career and Employment Center-442-8294

Career and Technology Center-265-5700

Child Development Center-244-2691

College Activities Office-443-8688

College Police-442-8201

College Relations-442-8225


Disabled Students Programs-442-8237


Financial Aid-442-8245

Fine, Performing & Communication Arts-442-8260

Fire Academy-265-5700


Health Science Division-244-2604

Health Services-442-8268

Honors Program-442-8207

Humanities Division -442-8281

IDILE Program-442-4600 ext. 8643

International Students-443-8569

Learning Resource Center-442-8206

Library, Circulation-442-8217

Library, Reference-442-8217

Manchester Center Location-256-5700

Math, Science & Engineering-442-8215

Placement Test Information-442-8282

Police Academy-442-8277

Puente Program-442-4600 ext. 8644

Public Information Office-489-2218

Records Office-442-8228

Registration Office-442-8228

Scholarship Information-442-8245

Social Science Division-442-8210

Sports Information-442-8229

Theatre Box Office-442-8221

Training Institute-265-5760


Transfer Center-442-8290

Tutoring Center-442-8209

Veterans Office-442-8224


A-Administration Building

AC-Assessment Center

AH-Art-Home Economics Building

BHS-Bullard High School 5445 N. Palm Ave, Fresno

BPRK-Euless Ball Park

BE-Business Education Building

CAFÉ-FCC Cafeteria

CAFÉ-3-FCC Staff Dining Room

CAFÉ-6-FCC Cafeteria Conf. Room A/B

CC-FCC College Center

CDC-Child Development Center (University & Calaveras)

CL-Clovis Center 390 W. Fir (Herndon & Peach)

Clovis Training Institute ? Export Program (LCEP)


CSUF-California State University, Fresno

CTC-Career & Technology Center, 2930 E. Annadale, Fresno

EHS-Edison High School 540 E. California, Fresno

FH-Forum Hall

FHS-Fresno High School 1839 N. Echo Ave, Fresno

FLCC-Fresno Local Conversation Corps. 1371 Stanislaus, Fresno

FO-Faculty Offices Complex

FPD-Fresno Police Department 2323 Mariposa, Fresno

FCPD-FCC Police Department 1940 N. Calaveras Fresno

G-FCC Gymnasium

GRNH-FCC Greenhouse

HHS-Hoover High School 5550 N. First, B-9, Fresno

HS-Health Sciences Building

HOSP-Fresno Community Hospital, Fresno and “R” St., Fresno

St. Agnes Hospital, 1303 E. Herndon

Fresno Sierra Community Outpatient Center, 2025 E. Dakota Ave

Fresno University Medical Center 445 S. Cedar Ave.

Fresno Valley Children’s Hospital, 9300 Valley Children’s Place

Madera Veteran’s Administration Hospital, 2615 Clinton Fresno

IC-Independence Center, T-201

IRS-Internal Revenue Service Center, 5045 E. Butler, Fresno

KK-King of Kings Community Center, 2302 S. Fig, Fresno

LA-Language Arts Building

LI-FCC Library/Media center

LI-126-Computer Laboratory

LI-148-High Tech Center

LI-134-Tutoring/ Learning Center (TLC)

MADC-Madera Center, 30277 Avenue 12, Madera

MCL-McLane High School, 2727 N. Cedar Ave., Fresno

MA-Memorial Auditorium 2425 Fresno St. Fresno

MS-Music-Speech Building

MSO-Madera Sheriff's Office 201 W. 6th St., Madera

NFLD-North Field

NFO-North Fork Elementary School, North Fork

OAB-Old Administration Building


OFF-Off-Campus Site (Check with Division Office)

Pa-SCCCD Police Academy, east of Radcliff Stadium

POOL-FCC Swimming Pool

RBCT-FCC Racquetball Courts

RC-Reedley College, 995 N. Reed, Reedley

RHS-Roosevelt High School, 4250E. Tulare St., Fresno

RS-Ratcliff Stadium (Fieldhouse)

S-Science Building

SAT-Saint Agnes Total Life Center, 1255 E. Herndon, Fresno

SBC-Second Baptist Church, 1041 E. Jensen, Fresno

SC-Student Center/ Bookstore

SFD-Selma Fire Department

SO-Social Science Building

ST-Student Services Building

STAD-Ratcliff Stadium

STCH-Student Governments chambers

T-Technical Industry Building

TA-Theatre Arts Building

TNCT-FCC Tennis Courts

UMC-University Medical Center

WUH-Washington Union School 6041 S. Elm, Easton


Administrative Services-A-103

Admissions and Records-ST. Lower Level

Admissions and Records District Dean-District Office

AmeriCorps/ ReEntry-ST. Upper Level Office C


Arts, Fine and Performing-LI-118

Assessment Center-LI-141

Associate Dean of Students

Workforce Development-ST-114

Associated Students-SC-205, 2nd Floor


Business Education Division Office-BE-110

Business Office (fee payments, etc.)-OAB, lower level

Cal PRONET-Library Basement


Career and Technology Center-2930 E. Annadale, Fresno

Child Development Center (CDC)-Calaveras & University

Clovis Center (CL)-Herndon & Peach

College Activities Office-CC

College Relations Office-SC-216

Counseling & Career Center-ST-200, Upper Level

Dean of Instruction-OAB-239

Dean of Students-ST-224, Upper Level

Dental Hygiene Office-HS-130

Disabled Students Programs

and Services-Administrative building, front

Extended Opportunity Programs

and Services-ST-101

Export Center-Clovis Center

(Herndon & Peach)

Financial Aid-ST-201

Financial Aid, District Assoc. Dean-ST-108

Health Sciences Division Office-HS-1

Honors Program-LI-118

Humanities Division Office-FO-41

IDILE-SC, Upper level

Independence Center-T-201

International Students Office-ST-102, Counter B

Job Placement Office-LI-147

Math, Science & Engr. Division Office-S-51

Nurse, Health Services-ST-112

Nursing Education Office-HS-1F

Physical Education Office-HS-1E

Police Academy-PA-1

Police Department-Weldon & Calaveras

President’s Office-OAB-259

Psychological Services-SC-216 (above Bookstore)

Public Relations Office-OAB first floor



Social Science Division Office-SO-123

Student Success-LI-118

Training Institute-FCC

Transfer Center-ST-200

Upward Bound-SC-216

USEAA-SC, Upper Level

Veteran’s Office-ST-102, Counter B

Workforce Development & Special Services-ST-114

Work Experience-A-102

10.1 On-Line Resources

Federal Student Aid:

Fresno City College:

Major preparation sheets (FCC):

Placement Testing schedule:

Textbook prices:


Transfer requirements to California State University or University of California:

10.2 Laws and Policies

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

Section 504 is also known as the “Access Law.” It provides program and physical access for students with disabilities. The law states that: “No otherwise qualified individual in the Unites States...shall, solely by reason of disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.” When providing aid, benefit or service, public entities must provide opportunities for individuals with disabilities to participate that are as effective as the opportunities provided to others. The Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Education defines “effective communications” as “timeliness of delivery, accuracy of the translation, and provision in a manner and medium appropriate to the significance of the message and the abilities of the individual with the disability.” The mechanism for enforcement of this law is the withholding of federal funds.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 1990

Extends the framework of civil rights laws and of Section 504. Mandates reasonable access for people with disabilities with all public and private entities. Provides essentially the same protection as Section 504, except it is broader in context and coverage, and redress is more specifically defined. There are five sections:

Title I – Employment: Prohibits employers of 15 or more to discriminate against a qualified applicant or employee with a disability and also prohibits retaliation against any individual who has opposed any act or practice made unlawful by the ADA.

Title II – Public Services and Transportation: Prohibits state and local governments from discriminating against people with disabilities in their programs and activities. Includes entities receiving state or federal funding such as community colleges in anti-discrimination clauses. New public buses, new train cars in commuter, subway, intercity, and light rail systems as well as new stations and facilities must be accessible.

Title III – Public Accommodations: Prohibits privately operated public accommodations from denying goods, programs and services to people based on their disabilities. Businesses must accommodate patrons with

disabilities by making reasonable modifications to policies and practices, providing auxiliary aids and improving physical accessibility.

Title IV – Telecommunications: Telephone companies need to provide continuous voice transmission relay services that allow people with speech and hearing disabilities to communicate over the phone through

teletypewriters (TTYs). Also requires that federally funded television public service messages be closed captioned for viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Title V – Miscellaneous Provisions: Specifics for enforcement of the act and provisions for attorney’s fees.

10.3 Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can a 504 Plan or IEP be used for documentation of a disability?

No. For students with learning disabilities, they will need to bring a copy of the most recent psycho-educational assessment report from high school. For medical, psychological, and other health-related disabilities (including ADHD), disability documentation from a certified or licensed professional must be provided. See Disability Verification (2.1) for additional information.

Q. Will the same services that a student received in high school be offered in college?

Maybe. High School Special Education programs are legally required to provide whatever service, accommodation, or modification that is needed for the student to be successful. Colleges are required by law to provide “equal access” to education. Access is provided through reasonable accommodations. Furthermore, college course curriculum cannot be modified to alter the fundamental nature of the course.

Q. Will the Disabled Student Programs & Services office provide services such as helping a student eat meals or pushing a wheelchair?

No. Services needed to assist a person with activities of daily living are the responsibility of the individual, not the college. See current college catalog for the most recent Attendant Care Policy.

Q. Are faculty and staff in higher education required to provide accommodations to a student with a disability, even if the student does not request it?

No. The student has the responsibility to self-identify to the compliance officer or the disability service office, provide documentation of a disability and ask for accommodation before the institution is required to provide that accommodation.

Q. Can a college refuse to grant a student’s request for an accommodation if it is not specifically recommended in the student’s documentation?

Yes. All accommodations granted must be related to the student’s disability related

limitations and based on the student’s documentation of disabilities.

Q. Does a disabled individual have to pay for services provided by DSP&S for disability-related limitations while in college?

No. It is the college’s responsibility to provide reasonable accommodations at no cost to registered and eligible students with disabilities.

Q. Does a SCCCD parking permit need to be purchased if one possesses a DMV Handicapped Placard?

No. You only need a DMV Handicapped Placard to park in a handicapped parking space. See Handicapped Parking (9.7) for additional information.

Q. How does a student get Mobility service?

A student must submit medical documentation that states the physical limitation and that Mobility service will be needed. The counselor will review the documentation and authorize Mobility as an approved accommodation, if appropriate. The student must then complete a Mobility Service Request form (see DSP&S forms) each semester that the service is needed. See Mobility Assistance (9.10) for additional information.

Q. How does a student get extra time for taking tests?

A student must meet with a counselor to determine appropriate accommodations. As with all accommodations they will be individually determined for appropriateness in relationship to disability-related limitations and course requirements. See Testing Accommodations (9.14), for additional information.

Q. Is tape recording allowed as an accommodation in higher education?

Yes. Section 504, Subpart E of the Rehabilitation Act (1973), states specifically

that a post-secondary institution may not impose rules that prohibit the use of tape recorders in the classroom for students with disabilities. See Equipment Loans (9.6) for additional information.

Q. Can instructors decide that a student with a documented disability does not need extended time on a test and choose not to give this accommodation?

No. Extended time is a reasonable accommodation for a student with a disability whose documentation specifically calls for that accommodation. The institution is required to ensure that the student is provided additional time to complete tests in order to provide an equal opportunity for that student.

Q. Can an individual faculty member who fails to provide an accommodation to a student with a documented disability be held personally liable?

Yes. A professor at the University of California, Berkeley was sued by a student with a documented learning disability who had been denied extended time on a math test. The court accepted the case, which was settled out of court for an unspecified amount.

Q. Does a student request for an accommodation have to be provided even when the accommodations would result in a fundamental alteration of the program?

No. Academic requirements that the institution can show are essential to the student’s course of study do not have to be modified or accommodated. In other words, the institution would not have to change a requirement if it could demonstrate that such a change would fundamentally alter the nature of the course.

Q. Can a student receive a failing grade for a college class in which they are receiving accommodations?

Yes. Accommodations ensure “access,” not necessarily “success.”

Q. Does your college assess for learning disabilities?

Yes. See Learning Disability Assessment Testing (9.9) for additional information.

Q. Do students with disabilities receive priority registration?

Yes. They may be eligible for priority registration if their disability-related limitations warrant it and they are in need of accommodations and/or services in the educational setting. See Priority Registration (9.12) for additional information.

Q. How does a student get notetaking services?

Upon approval of this accommodation by a DSP&S counselor, the student should find a classmate who is willing to share his or her notes. The student may check out paper from DSP&S that will provide a carbonless copy of the notes. See Notetakers (9.11) for additional information.

Last updated: 11/10/2015 2:57:13 PM