Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government
graphic element

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as Amended

TO: All Fresno City College Students

FROM: Associate Dean of Students, Admissions and Records

RE: Notice of your Rights Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, requires that you be advised of your rights concerning your educational records and of certain categories of public information which the College has designated as “directory information.” This notice, in question and answer format, satisfies the requirements of the Act.

Prepared by:

The Student Services Staff

August 2001-Updated January 2007

This institution does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, disability, religion or age.


As a student at Fresno City College, what rights do I have regarding my college records?

You have the right to review all your records which meet the Act’s definition of “educational records.”

What is the definition of “educational records?”

Educational records are all the records maintained by the college about you. There are seven exceptions:

1. personal notes of Fresno City College staff and faculty;

2. employment records;

3. medical and counseling records used solely for treatment;

4. records in the Police Services;

5. financial records of your parents;

6. confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in your records prior to January 1, 1975; and

7. confidential letters and statements of recommendation for admission, employment or honorary recognition placed in your records on or after January 1, 1975, for which you have waived the right to inspect and review.

Is there any situation in which the college may insist that I waive my rights?

Under no circumstances may you be required to waive your rights under this Act before receiving college services or benefits.

Where are my records kept?

Records are not maintained in a central location on campus. Requests to review your records must be made separately to each office which maintains your records. Your request must be made in writing and be presented to the appropriate office. That office will have 10 days to honor your request. For most students, these offices will include the Admissions and Records Office, the Counseling Office, and any other campus office with which you have been in contact, such as Student Financial Aid or Dean of Students.

What if I do not agree with what is in my records?

You may challenge any information contained in your “education records” which you believe to be inaccurate, misleading, or inappropriate. This right does not extend to reviewing grades unless the grade assigned by your instructor was inaccurately recorded in your records. You may also insert a statement in your record to explain any material from your point of view. If you wish to challenge information in your file, you must make a written request for a hearing with the Associate Dean of Students, Admissions and Records. In most cases the decision of the Associate Dean will be final. However, you may elect to file and appeal in writing to the President who will review the decision only if a significant question of policy or compliance with the Act is evident.

May I determine which third parties can view my educational records?

Yes, you may determine which third parties will have access to your educational records. Under the Act, prior written consent must be obtained before information may be disclosed to third parties unless they are exempted from this provision. These exemptions include:

1. requests from Fresno City College faculty and staff with a legitimate educational “need to know;”

2. requests in accordance with a lawful subpoena or court order;

3. requests from representatives of agencies or organizations from which you have received financial aid;

4. requests from officials of other education institutions in which you intend to enroll; and,

5. requests from other persons specifically exempted from the prior consent requirement by the Act (certain federal and state officials, organizations conducting studies on behalf of the College, or accrediting organizations).

What is meant by the term “directory information?”

The College, in accordance with the Act, has designated the following categories of information about you as public unless you chose to exercise your right to have all of this information withheld. This information may be routinely released to any inquirer unless you request that this information be withheld. These categories are:

1. Name;

2. address;

3. telephone listing;

4. date and place of birth;

5. major field of study;

6. participation in officially recognized activities and sports;

7. weight and height of members of athletic teams

8. dates of attendance (including current classification and year, matriculation and withdrawal dates);

9. degrees and awards received (type of degree and date granted); and

10. the most recent previous educational agency or institution you attended.

What kinds of inquiries does the College receive for “Directory Information”?

The College receives many inquiries or “directory information” from a variety of sources including parents, relatives, prospective employers, graduate schools, honor societies, licensing agencies, news media, and government agencies, e.g., military recruiters. Please consider very carefully the consequences of your decision regarding the release of “directory information,” as you complete either your Admission Application or Privacy Correction Form. Should you decide to inform the College not to release “directory information,” any future requests of information from non-college persons or organizations will be refused. For example, the college could not release your telephone number to family members in case of serious illness or crisis in the family until appropriate documented evidence is presented. A prospective employer requesting confirmation of your major field of study, address or date of birth would also be denied access to such items should you withdraw them from the list of “directory information.” The college will honor your request to withhold the ten (10) items listed above but cannot assume responsibility to contact you for subsequent permission to release them. Regardless of the effect upon you, the College assumes no liability for honoring your instructions that such information be withheld.

If you wish to file a form changing your decision regarding the information in the “directory” classification, you should report to counter “A”, Admissions and Records, Student Services Building and complete a Privacy Correction Form. After you have filed this form, the Admissions and Records Office will comply with your wishes as soon as possible.

Where can I find out more information about the provisions of the Act?

If you have questions regarding the provisions of the Act, you may contact Counter “A”. Admissions and Records, lower floor, Student Services Building or the Associate Dean of Students, Admissions and Records, telephone 442-8241.

Whom should I contact if I wish to make a complaint?

If you believe that the College is not complying with the Act, please direct your comments to the Associate Dean of Students, Admissions and Records, telephone 442-8241.


Last updated: 10/13/2011 9:48:10 AM