Fire Technology - Major #883A
The Fire Academy curriculum is designed to prepare students for initial employment in the field of Fire Technology. It also prepares students for upper divisional course work towards a bachelor's degree.
The Fire Academy is a 24 unit class (6 units of which is degree applicable) offered either on a daytime schedule beginning in August of each year or on a four night per week and Saturday schedule that begins in January. Both academies cover the same material and are 800 hours in length.
Costs include the basic college fees plus the cost of equipment as needed. The total cost will run about $2950.00, broken down as follows:
|24 units @ $20 per unit
|Estimated Additional Costs:
|Approved safety boots
|*Cost may change with out any prior notice
To qualify for the academy, applicant must:
- Be 18 years of age or have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Applicants with prior college work must be on good academic and progress standing.
- Contact the Fire Academy at (559) 265-5700.
- Possess a valid California driver's license.
- Provide proof of a clear physical examination including an electrocardiogram printout (EKG).
- Review/complete appropriate English and math courses. I.E., English 1A and Math 1
- Complete the following course, offered each spring semester at FCC: Fire T 1-Fire Protection Organization
- Physical Fitness Preparation
Throughout the Fire Academy there is a strong emphasis on physical training and testing. Cadets are required to pass a comprehensive physical fitness exam to successfully complete the academy. Emphasis of the physical fitness training is on endurance as well as strength and technique.
- Volunteer fire fighting experience will be beneficial in applying for entry level fire fighting positions.
The Fresno City College Fire Academy provides extensive hands on training required by many fire agencies for entry level employment as a firefighter. Graduates of the Fresno City College Fire Academy receive the following certifications and /or certificates:
- Fresno City College Certificate of Completion
- CSFM Certified Firefighter 1 Training Record
- Vehicle extraction Certificate
- CDF Basic Wildland Firefighter Certification
- Low Angle Rescue Certificate
- Hazardous Materials First Responder Operational and Decon Certificate
- Confined Space Rescue Awareness and Operations Certificates
- Basic ICS, I-100, I-200 Certificate
- Fire Control 3 Certificate
There are no prerequisites for entry into the Fresno City College Fire Academy, however, priority may be given to students affiliated with and sponsored by area fire agencies.
THE FIRE ACADEMY CONSISTS OF ARDUOUS PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES. STUDENTS MUST BE IN TOP PHYSICAL AND MENTAL CONDITION.
Qualified students attending the Fire Academy may be eligible for financial aid. Questions should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office on campus.