The Basic Police Academy is a training program certified by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.). Completion of the Basic Academy is required in order to be hired as a full time Peace Officer in California. The State Center Regional Training Facility at Fresno City College offers the Basic Academy in different formats, day and evening programs. Both Academy formats have the same content, testing and graduation requirements.
Intensive Format (Day)
The day time intensive format is offered twice per year. One beginning in early January and ending in June. The second beginning in June and ending in December. The classes meet from 7:45 am until 5:00pm daily Monday through Friday. This format is intended for those students who are not working a full time day job or who are being sponsored by a law enforcement agency.
Extended Format (Evenings & Saturdays)
The evening format is offered once per year beginning in mid February and ending in December. Classes meet from 5:45 PM until 10pm Monday through Thursday and on Saturdays from 7:45 and until 5:00pm. This format is intended for those students working full or part time.
Entrance Requirements to the Basic Police Academy Candidates for the Basic Academy:
- Be 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Candidates with college work must be in good academic standing based on all college work attempted or receive.
- Complete and submit the FCC and Peace Officer Academy Applications.
- Take and pass the P.O.S.T. reading & writing entrance test and physical agility test.
- Candidates must attend an interview and orientation.
- Candidates must provide proof of:
- Physical exam
- Valid California driver's license
- Department of Motor Vehicle printout
- Department of Justice clearance for firearms possession.
WANT TO APPLY FOR THE ACADEMY?
Those interested in applying for the academy will need to complete a POST Personal History Statement (PHS) by going to the link below.
POST PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT LINK
- Once at the POST homepage, click on the Forms tab near the top of the page. You will see PHS as one of the selections, click on it and download the form.
- Fill the form out completely, print it out, initial and sign in the appropriate locations.
- Then bring the completed PHS to the academy personally before April 17th, 2015 by 12 noon (1200 hours).
Equipment and Cost
COST ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. REQUIREMENTS FOR UNIFORMS, BOOKS, AND GEAR WILL BE DEFINDED AT ORIENTATION.