A certificate or degree in Education from Fresno City College provides students with the knowledge, skills and experience to obtain a job as a paraprofessional in a preK-12 classroom, and serves as a foundation for a Bachelor's degree in Liberal Studies.


  • Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer (F.5920.AA-T)

Elementary Teacher Education, AA-T, Prospective Bilingual Teacher Cohort Information

Learn More about Enseñamos en el Valle Central (We Teach the Central Valley)


  • Child Development: Education Paraprofessional (F.5910.CA)
  • Child Development: Early Childhood Paraprofessional (F.5912.CA)
  • Child Development: Special Education Paraprofessional (F.5913.CA)

Join Now

Contact Melissa Kent, Counselor for Social Sciences Division, for more information.

Courses and Information

To see recommended courses, see the Catalog.  To see upcoming scheduled classes, see the Schedule of Classes

Single-Subject Credential

A single subject credential is required to teach Math or English or Science or many other subjects at the high school level.  You can start by earning your degree at FCC in the following majors.  Then move on to a 4 year university to complete your education and earn your credential.  

Attracting and keeping quality teachers in California classrooms is a constant challenge. With about a third of the teaching force nearing retirement, the Center for the Future of Teaching and Learning estimates that California will need an additional 100,000 teachers over the next decade*. Fresno County is home to the fourth largest school district in the state and is just one of the many local districts in desperate need of highly qualified teacher candidates.

*source: Understaffed and Underprepared: California Districts Report Ongoing Teacher Shortages

If you are considering teaching English and Social Studies classes for grades 7–8, please contact school district(s) for more information on credential requirements for teaching middle school.  Some school districts require a multiple-subject credential, while others require single-subject credential.

For a single-subject credential, major in the subject area you plan on teaching. For example, at FCC we offer majors in:

  • Studio Art, AA-T
  • English, AA-T
  • Math, AS-T
  • Biology, AS-T
  • Kinesiology, AS-T
  • Spanish, AA-T
  • Political Science, AA-T
  • History, AA-T
  • Music, AA-T
  • Geology, AS-T
  • Physics, AS-T
  • Industrial Arts & Technology, AS

Learn more about each major

Take EDUC 30 Introduction to Teaching (3 units) & EDUC 19X  Work Experience (1 unit) for students who plan on teaching grades 7-12.

Note: the following degrees and certificates no longer offered:

  • Associate in Arts:  Liberal Studies
  • Associate in Science, Teacher Aide
  • Certificate of Achievement:  Special Education Assistant
  • Certificate of Achievement, Teacher Aide
  • Certificate:  Teacher Aide - Special Education

Students enrolled under previous catalogs are still eligible to earn these. Please contact a counselor for more information about catalog rights.