Complete each step below in order to apply to the Dental Hygiene program.
Complete online Fresno City College application.
All applicants to the Dental Hygiene program must apply for admission to Fresno City College to obtain a SCCCD Student ID number prior to applying to the program. When applying you will be asked to declare a major, please select Pre-Allied Health. Once accepted into the program your major will be changed to Dental Hygiene.
Completion of science prerequisites with a C or better:
- BIO 20-Human Anatomy and BIO 22-Human Physiology or BIOL 21A-Human Anatomy & Physiology I and BIOL 21B-Human Anatomy & Physiology II
- CHEM 3A - Introductory General Chemistry
- CHEM 3B - Introductory Organic & Biological Chemistry
- BIOL 31 - Microbiology
Completion of non-science prerequisites with a C or better:
- ENGL 1A - Reading and Composition
- MATH 103 - Foundations of Math or higher math course
- PSY 2 - General Psychology
- SOC 1A - Introduction to Sociology
- FN 40 - Nutrition or equivalent
- COMM 1 or 2 - Introduction to Public Speaking or Interpersonal Communication
GPA of 2.7 or above
- A cumulative GPA calculation will be done using all college coursework document on all college/university transcripts.
- Grade points and units will be tallied from all college work attempted.
- Application requirements include the completion of all eleven (11) prerequisite courses and a cumulative GPA for 2.7 or above.
- "In Progress" courses are not accepted.
- Advanced Placement (AP) courses are not accepted to meet pre-requisite requirements for this program.
Applicants with courses from outside State Center Community College District
Applicants who would like to use pre-requisite or general education courses completed from outside of SCCCD should meet with a Fresno City College Counselor. The counselor will assist in determining whether the Course Substitution Petition process needs to be completed. This process should be completed before applying to the Registered Nursing Programs or any Allied Health Program. Students with courses from a California public community college or university may use the following links to determine equivalency of courses from outside institutions with Fresno City College:
If a course substitution petition is needed, courses must be evaluated by each department for possible approval. The required documents to initiate the review of a course are a copy of the official transcript and the course syllabus. This is a lengthy process and must be done at least 2-3 months prior to submitting an application. All approved FCC course substitutions must be submitted with application.
Applicants using Foreign Education courses
Students who have completed courses outside of the United States must have foreign transcripts evaluated by an evaluation service approved by Fresno City College. Please meet with a Fresno City College Counselor/Allied Health and Nursing Counselor.
The Academic Summary Form (ASF) must be completed and submitted during the application period. At this time, the Fresno City College campus is closed, therefore the 2021 ASF will be accessible online during the application period.
Application Q&A will be available on the following dates via Starfish, click on the link below:
A complete application must contain the following:
- Online Dental Hygiene Academic Summary Form. Please list all colleges attended on the ASF including Fresno City College and all affiliated campuses. Failure to list all colleges previously attended may result in your application being denied.
- Submit one (1) official college/university transcript from each school attended outside of SCCCD. If you have attended Fresno City College, Reedley College, Clovis Community College, or Madera Community College you do not need to submit transcripts from those institutions. All pre-requisite coursework must be complete at the time of application and grades must be posted on the transcripts.
Transcripts can be submitted one of two ways:
E-Transcripts can be sent by the institution, not the student to email@example.com
Sealed official transcripts can be mailed by the institution or the student to the following address:
Fresno City College
ATT: Admissions & Records (ATT: Transcripts)
1101 E. University Ave
Fresno, CA 93741
If applicable to the applicant, submit the following documents by uploading them to the online Academic Summary Form:
- Veteran or a spouse of a veteran requesting veteran preference requires submission of a copy of the DD214 from.
- Course Substitutions - Include a copy of approved Course Substitution(s) for prerequisite and General Education courses.
After submitting the application, follow the "Important Dates to Follow" (above) for when to check lottery and selection status.
Also, please regularly check your SCCCD Student Email for all notifications from Fresno City College.
Upon selection into the Dental Hygiene Program students must confirm acceptance to participate in the program and must attend a mandatory program orientation. Information about the orientation will be provided at the time of selection. Failure to attend will result in forfeiture of program placement.
Upon admission to the program all immunizations, health exams, CPR requirements, transportation verification, consents, etc. must be met prior to beginning the Dental Hygiene program.