Nov 19, 2021
Fresno City College athletics continues its winning ways. Three teams have wrapped up conference championships and others will also be seeing post-season play. Congratulations to Football, Women’s Soccer and Volleyball for taking the top spot in their conferences. All, along with Men’s soccer, Wrestling, and Cross Country are gearing up for more.
- Soccer: This weekend, both men and women’s soccer will host first round NorCal playoff games on the soccer field. Eighth seeded Men’s soccer will face Evergreen College at 11:00 a.m. The women’s team, also the 8th seed, faces Los Medanos College at 2 p.m.
- Cross Country: The State Championships in Cross Country will be held here in Fresno on Saturday, November 20 at Woodward Park. Fresno City College will have two women representing FCC in the competition, Betzabe Bautista Castro (Madera South HS) and Caliska Avila (Washington Union HS).
This is Betzabe’s first year running for FCC. She ran three years of cross country and track & field in high school. She worked her way to qualify for the State Championships with a time of 21:41.91 in 5km. Betsy is a strong athlete, a team player and ready for the task according to head coach Calixte Aholu.
Calizka finished her 5km with a time of 21:42.34 to qualify for the State Championships. A two-sport athlete in high school, cross country and softball, the freshman has dedicated herself to cross-country where she continues to improve every day. According to Coach Aholu, going into the season, she did not believe that she could make it far; however, determination, commitment and hard work made a difference.
- Wrestling: The Rams take the mat on Sunday, November 21 at 3 p.m. in the FCC Gym for the State Dual Team Championship. Fresno City College from the north faces Mt. San Antonio College from the south. The tournament involves one wrestler in each of the ten weight classifications for each team.
- Volleyball: Another conference championship is on the books for the FCC Rams. They will play at home for the NorCal first round playoffs on November 23. Their opponent has yet to be announced. The time has not yet been set either. Fresno City College is hosting the State Championships December 3-5 in the FCC Gym.
- Football: Football won the Central Valley Conference championship with an 8-2 record. They will next travel to #2 San Mateo College on November 27 and will kick off at 12:00 p.m. The Rams are seeded 3rd.
- Golf: The State Championship in golf was played November 14 & 15. Gianna Grotto and Sydney Crass represented Fresno City College.