- Accessibility Requirements (overall) - 508 compliance requirements
Guides for Creating Accessible Documents
The following guides were created to help you get started on creating PDF documents that meet current accessibility standards. The documents will be updated regularly with best practices, information on how to fix issues, and to keep up with evolving standards:
- Microsoft Word to PDF Guide (PDF) - last updated on 1/4/2018
- Adobe Acrobat Pro Guide (PDF) - coming soon
California Community College Technology Center
The CCC Technology Center has a number of accessibility resources available to California Community Colleges:
- CCC Accessibility Center
- CCC Accessibility Help Center - Available to all CCC employees, provides a community-based forum to search for answers and ask questions about web and IT accessibility topics facing colleges and students.
- Document Accessibility - This page contains instructions on how to make documents accessible using MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and also contains information on tools and outsourcing options.
- Video & Media Accessibility - Provides recommended reading and resources for media accessibility.
The Vision Resource Center (previously the Professional Learning Network), supported by the Institutional Effectiveness Partnership Initiative (IEPI), provides unlimited access to Lynda.com for all California Community College employees at no cost. For access to Lynda.com through the Vision Resource Center, sign in and go to the Learn tab.
You will need to register if you do not have an account.
Lynda.com Online Courses
You must be logged into the Vision Resource Center or have a Lynda.com account for the below links to work. The links provided below are recommended courses for accessibility:
- Creating Accessible Documents in Microsoft Office
- Creating Accessible Documents in Microsoft Word
- Adobe Acrobat DC: Creating Accessible PDFs
FCC Faculty Resources
Making our content more accessible is not only a requirement under Section 508, but it is better for all our students and staff. It is the responsibility of each member of the organization to help make our information more accessible for everyone. Let’s make the State Center Community College District an example of good practice.
Accessibility training will be provided to all District staff and you should attend if you:
- Create documents that will be shared or distributed electronically
- Need access to make changes to any district website
- Want to learn a few tricks and tips that make document modification easier
- Create documents that need to be posted on the web or shared with students
Future Training Dates
California Community College Technology Center Presents:
PDF Form Accessibility Workshop
Training on: Friday, February 28, 2020
Location: Reedley College, BUS-49
This training is specifically for faculty and staff and will focus on accessibility in Adobe Acrobat and PDF Forms. Come learn how to create an accessible PDF form in Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat. There is one training session offered.
Prerequisites - Users who register for this course must first complete one of following:
- Prior Word & PDF accessibility course hosted by one of the SCCCD colleges.
- The Canvas PDF micro-course hosted by one of the SCCCD colleges.
- Take this online self-paced PDF training through the CCC Online Network of Educators
Please register if you plan on attending and have completed one of the prequisites.
Register for PDF Form Accessibility Workshop - 1:15pm - 4:30pm
Director, Accessibility Center
California Community Colleges Technology Center