Financial Aid Policies

Please review the Terms of Agreement and either drop it in the drop box in the front of our office on the wall, fax or mail it to us.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

You must meet three requirements to be considered to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to receive financial aid.

  1. Maintain a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0.
    This is the Qualitative Measure. A, B, C, D, RD, and F grades are used to calculate a student's GPA. Transferable units from prior colleges are not included in the GPA calculation. (If all classes are taken on a credit/non-credit basis, the GPA requirement will not apply).
  2. Receive credit for at least 67% of the total units attempted.
    This is the Quantitative Measure (Pace of Progression). Withdrawals (W), Extenuating Withdrawls (EW) Incompletes (I), No Credit (N, NC or NP), Report Delay (RD) and Failing (F) grades are considered units attempted.
  3. Have attempted less than 150% of the maximum cumulative units required for completion of their program. This is the Maximum Timeframe.

See details about SAP

Important Information Regarding Withdrawals

Classes Dropped

If you withdraw from all of your classes before 60% of the semester, you may be expected to repay all or a portion of your financial aid.

Dropping Below 6 Units

If you receive a financial aid check based on six (6) or more units and then drop below six units to less than half-time prior to receiving your second check, you will be required to repay all or a major portion of your financial aid. For example, if your original Pell Grant for the semester was $2000 and you received your first disbursement of $1000 (50%), you would have to repay a significant amount if you dropped to less than half-time status.

Partial Withdrawal

If you fail to begin attendance in some classes and the instructor drops you as a late drop you may be expected to pay back all or a portion of your financial aid.

Withdrawing Without Completing A Withdrawal Form

If you do not officially withdraw from your classes and receive all F’s, NC’s, I’s and W’s and did not attend classes through 60% of the semester, you may be expected to repay all or a portion of your financial aid.

Student Loan Borrowers

Withdrawing from all of your classes or dropping below 6 units will terminate your “IN-SCHOOL” status. Failure to re-enroll within the next six months will place your student loan in “REPAYMENT” status where you must begin making payments on your loan. Federal loans must be repaid regardless of whether you complete your college program or are able to find employment.

Avoid Repayment

If you dropped units, consider enrolling in short term, mid-semester classes. If you are thinking about dropping classes, contact the financial aid office to see if and how it may affect your eligibility. The Counseling Department is available to assist you in developing or modifying your class schedule.

Financial Aid Repeat Course Policy

Federal regulations allow students to receive federal student aid for one repeat of a previously passed course. A grade of D or better is considered passing. W's do not count as repeats. If you attempt a course for the third time after previously receiving a passing grade in that course, you will no longer be eligible for payment for those units if you previously received Title IV funding for the course.

Withdrawals and Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Title IV funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the financial aid is awarded. When a student withdraws from all classes, the financial aid award amount for the student is affected. When a student receives a combination of F/W/I/RDs or all F/I/RDs, we must treat it as if the student stopped attending all classes. If there are any grade changes it is the student's responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office prior to September 30th of the next school year.

According to Federal Student Aid regulations:

  • When a student fails to begin attendance in all classes but receives financial aid, the entire amount must be returned. The student is considered a “no show”. The institution will return all federal funds disbursed to the student back to the Department of Education, and the student will be billed the amount returned.
  • When a student withdraws before completing more than 60% of the term, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive. The financial aid office will perform a return of funds calculation to determine how much the institution and the student must return. If the institution is required to return funds on the student’s behalf, the student will be billed and a hold will be placed on the student’s account, which will prevent students from registering from classes and obtaining academic transcripts.
  • When a student withdraws after completing more than 60% of the term, the student will not owe any repayment to the institution or the Department of Education. The student has earned 100% of the financial aid received.
    When a student withdraws and the return of Title IV funds calculation performed indicates that a student has not received all financial aid entitled to, it is called a post-withdrawal disbursement. Our office will notify you by email.

Terms of Agreement

Upon acceptance of financial aid (cashing a check or accepting direct deposit), I hereby certify that:

  • I will enroll in an eligible program and attend classes at one (or more) of the campuses/centers through State Center Community College District.
  • I understand that my financial aid award is subject to change according to my enrollment status.
  • I understand that if repayment is required, I will be ineligible to receive any additional grant money until repayment is complete. I understand that under repayment or default status, academic transcripts will not be released to other institutions.
  • I have read SCCCD’s Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy and understand I must meet these standards in order to continue receiving financial aid.
  • I will promptly answer all letters related to my financial aid.
  • I will notify the Financial Aid Office if I change financial aid unit status, change attending institution or enroll in more than one institution.
  • I realize payment of EOPS or OASIS funds are contingent upon compliance with all applicable guidelines.
  • I realize I must be in the proper number of units approximately ten days before check disbursement date in order to receive my financial aid and I understand that I may NOT be paid for short-term or wait-list classes until officially enrolled in and actually attending them.
  • I agree to repay any funds disbursed to me in error, or for any period of time I was not eligible to receive funding or was not enrolled.
  • I also understand that any fees owed to the institution will be subtracted from my financial aid check unless alternate payment arrangements have been made with the Campus Business Office.

Terms of Agreement

I authorize SCCCD to release and / or transmit all information contained in my application for aid and / or concerning my prior year’s awards to any governmental agency, institution of higher education, scholarship donor or lending institution upon request of those agencies.

To the best of my knowledge, the information contained in my application is correct and complete. SCCCD has my permission to verify this information and I agree to release to the Financial Aid Office copies of my Federal Income Tax Return and other income and asset verification upon request. By accepting financial aid (cashing a check), I acknowledge that I have read and fully understand the provisions stated above. I certify that I am in full compliance with the terms listed above.

Special Circumstances and Dependency Overrides

Special Circumstance

If there has been a change to your family's situation that reduces your ability to pay for college, you may request a review of the information on your financial aid application by completing the Special Circumstance Request form. Not all Special Circumstance reviews will result in a change to financial aid eligibility.

Circumstances that are generally given consideration include:

  • Loss of income or benefits
  • Divorce or separation
  • Death of a parent (or spouse if married)

FAFSA data will be verified prior to the Special Circumstance review. At a minimum, a student will be required to submit the following information to the Financial Aid Office if requested:

  1. Completed Special Circumstance Request form.
  2. Signed copies of federal income tax return for the requested tax year(s), with applicable tax schedules and attachments.
  3. W-2's for the appropriate tax year(s).
  4. Documentation of untaxed income (if applicable).
  5. Examples of other documentation include unemployment claim payment history, layoff notice, severance letter, legal separation papers or divorce decree, death certificate.


Dependency Override

The FAFSA determines your dependency status based on a number of questions. If you answer 'no' to all of the dependency questions on the FAFSA, you are considered a dependent student for financial aid purposes and must provide your parent information on the FAFSA.

If there are unusual circumstances where you cannot provide your parent information on the FAFSA, the Financial Aid Office may be able to perform a dependency override to make you an independent student for financial aid purposes and determine your financial aid eligibility without parent information or signatures.

Unusual circumstances that may warrant a dependency override include:

  • Parental abandonment or estrangement
  • Parents cannot be located
  • Family abuse
  • Incarceration or institutionalization

We cannot override dependency in cases where:

  • Parents are unwilling to provide information for the FAFSA
  • Student is financially independent
  • Parents don’t claim student as a dependent on their taxes

The Financial Aid Office understands that many students have unique family situations. Student will be required to contact the office to schedule an in-person appointment and provide proper documentation.  Information and documentation submitted by the student is considered confidential.  There is no guarantee that a dependency override will be approved.   

If you believe you have a special circumstance or dependency override that warrants review, please contact the Financial Aid Office for an appointment at 559-442-8245.