Chapter 31 Montgomery G.I. Bill

The VR&E program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities and an employment handicap and Servicemembers who are in the process of transitioning from military to civilian employment prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans and Servicemembers with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VR&E offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. Eligibility requirements are set by law and are complex.


Chapter 31 Checklist to guide you through the process.

You will be certified for your benefits only after all documents have been submitted to the FCC VRC.

Documents to Determine Eligibility for Step 1

The FCC VRC will require the following documents:

You may email or bring them into our office.

  1. Contact Form:
    • Please fill out the Contact Form to give our office your contact information.
  2. Apply at the Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Office:
    • After being approved with the V.A. you must set up an appointment with the Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Office to speak with and be assigned a case manager who will process your case and authorize your chapter 31 Benefits by creating Form 1905. Veterans must be employable to receive Ch. 31 benefits.
    • After your case manager completes your Form 1905 authorizing you chapter 31 benefits, please ensure that they email it to our Veterans’ Certifications Official at You can also walk this form into our office.
    • If you attended and used benefits at a previous college, please fill out the VA Form 1995.
  3. Military Credit Evaluation (MCE) in File:
    • Petition: The Petition for College Credit allows us to process your MCE.
    • DD-214 Member 4: A DD-214 Member 4 Copy. If you have more than 1 DD-214 (National Guard/ Reserve, or served multiple non-consecutive terms), please bring in all of them.
    • Joint Service Transcripts / CCAF:
    • MCE takes about 2 weeks to be completed.

Step 1 is required to be completed before moving on to Step 2


  • The SEP is developed by the veterans’ counselor and the student.
  • The Veterans’ Counselor will also evaluate the student’s prior college transcripts to determine which credits will transfer to FCC.
  • The SEP is a list of all the classes that the Veterans’ Dependents must attend to obtain their educational goal.

Documents to Determine Eligibility for Step 3


  1. Registration:
    • After receiving your SEP from the Veterans’ Counselor, your next step is to register for classes on your WebAdvisor (access through MyPortal) using your SEP as a list. Keep in mind the V.A. will not pay for classes not on your SEP
  2. Official Schedule from Admissions Office:
    • After you register for your classes you must bring a copy of your official schedule from the admissions office only - not from WebAdvisor.
  3. Control Card:
    • To be completed in the Veterans Office before the beginning of every semester. This card is signed by the veteran to give authorization for the Veterans’ Certifying Official to certify you for your education benefits with the V.A so you can get paid on time.