Declares civil rights for individuals with disabilities
- Requires federal organizations provide people with disabilities an equitable opportunity to participate in programs and services
- Addresses the needs for auxiliary aids and services (accommodations)
- Organizations must provide accommodations to ensure equitable opportunities.
- Organizations must give primary consideration to the accommodation request of the individual with a disability as long as it doesn’t cause a burden of an undue hardship within the organization or fundamentally alter a course.
- Any federally funded program receiving federal funds is obligated to adhere to section 504
Sets requirements for accessible technology
Requires organizations provide access to and use of electronic information technology for all people with disabilities, including the public.
- Addresses the technological infrastructure that allows online accessibility
- Organization must ensure electronic information is accessible and compatible with auxiliary aides.
- Requires all website content be accessible according to WCAG 2.0 Level A and Level AA.
- US states require compliance with section 508 and WCAG 2.0 web accessibility guidelines