California College Promise Grant

  • You must be coded by Admissions and Records as a California Resident or AB-540 student (contact A&R for residency questions)
  • Awarded automatically if you have an accepted FAFSA on file with FCC and you meet income requirements
  • Also can be awarded by filling out a paper California College Promise Grant application in the main financial aid office if you meet one of the qualifications:
    • You meet certain income standards
    • or You or your family are receiving public assistance from the Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or General Assistance 
    • or You have certification from the California Department of Veterans' Affairs or the national Guard Adjutant General for a dependent's fee waiver 

Regulations Effective Fall 2015

  • Must sustain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
  • Must complete more than 50 percent of your cumulative coursework
  • If you are below these standards for two consecutive terms (summer excluded), you may lose your grant eligibility