The ADN Program and nursing students are legally bound by the contract the program has with each healthcare facility. It is important to remember that we are guests at each facility. Students have responsibilities outlined in the contract which include:
- Abiding by policies, procedures and regulations of the facility; including education and badge requirements. All required immunizations must be complete, current, and uploaded to vaccination management system before first clinical day. Note: students may be required to show proof of negative COVID before patient care.
- Working with staff to provide safe and competent nursing care.
- Adhering to HIPAA regulations and guidelines.
- Abiding by policies, procedures and regulations of the FCC Nursing Department
Preparing to become a Registered Nurse requires critical thinking and personal accountability. It involves applying knowledge and performing skills in a consistently safe, competent, efficient, and professional manner. It also involves a gradual transition from close instructor observation to a more independent/collaborative level of practice. To assist students in determining when to give patient care without direct instructor observation and when to call the instructor, the following guidelines have been developed.
Contact Your Clinical Faculty When …
- Assigned a patient that is family or a personal acquaintance.
- Anything unsafe happens to your patient (e.g., a fall, medication error).
- You injure yourself in any way (e.g., needle puncture, back strain).
- Personal issue that would conflict with attending clinical or completing clinical assignment.
Clinical Absence Policy
In the event of a student absence from the clinical area, the student must contact the clinical faculty not less than 60 minutes prior to the start of the shift. The student must contact (email/text or as directed) the course faculty. Please specify the date of your absence and the clinical rotation you missed. If a student is absent from a clinical rotation where an instructor is not present, they must also notify the unit where assigned not less than 60 minutes prior to the start of the shift. (See attendance policy.)
If injury occurs while in clinical, immediately contact clinical faculty. The student will be required to complete documentation required by the college and/or facility.